We want you!
For many, fostering is a rewarding option to give back to the shelter and volunteer when they don’t have the means or desire to adopt a pet forever. Fostering is a very important service to CLHS as it allows us to help more animals and reach more people. It is a temporary commitment that can lasting effects on the animal being helped. But why? Read on to find out what’s involved, why it is so critical, and if it’s for you.
What does fostering involve?
When you foster, you agree to take a homeless animal into your home and give him or her love, care and attention, either for a predetermined period of time or until the animal is adopted.
Why does CLHS need foster homes?
There are many reasons an animal might need foster care. Some of the most common include:
• An animal is too young to be adopted and needs a safe place to stay until he or she is old enough to go to a forever home. We often times have litters of puppies and/or kittens that need to be cared for until they are old enough to go to the shelter. This is sometimes with or without the mother cat/dog.
• An animal is recovering from surgery, illness or injury and needs a safe place to recuperate.
• An animal is showing signs of stress such as pacing or hiding in the shelter.
• An animal has not lived in a home before or has not had much contact with people and needs to be socialized.
Why should I foster?
Fostering an animal is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have (other than adopting, of course). By taking an animal in need temporarily into your home you’re:
• freeing up a spot so the shelter or rescue can take in another animal.
• giving your foster pet the time he/she needs to be ready for adoption.
• helping the shelter or rescue learn more about the animal so it can end up in the best home possible.
• socializing the animal to a home environment and possibly getting it used to being around other pets and different types of people.
Not sure you can foster? Contact us to find out more about fostering and if it’s right for you. We’re here to help. If not, there are plenty of other ways to become involved with the Columbus Lowndes Humane Society.
CLHS FOSTER APPLICATION
(Adults 18 years of age and older)
We'd love to hear from you.
We love to hear from you
Columbus Lowndes Humane Society
50 Airline Road
Columbus, MS 39701